
Abolition Walk Through History
The National Abolition Hall of Fame and Museum in Peterboro NY is pleased to announce the Fourth Annual Abolition Walk from Canastota to Clockville, and return to Canastota, tracing the beginning footsteps of the one hundred four abolitionists who walked nine steep miles from the Erie Canal to Peterboro in the middle of the night on October 21, 1835.
The sheriff escorted Abolition Walk begins at 102 South Peterboro Street in Canastota NY with registration at 8:00 am, a brief program at 9:00 am, and the walk launch at 9:30 am. Walkers arrive in Clockville at about 10:30 am and return to Canastota at Erie Canal Brewing for a party at approximately noon. Folks can also ride a bus for the walk, and the bus is available for brief rests for walkers.
The abolitionists of New York State intended to form an organization that would address the need to end enslavement in the United States. 600 delegates assembled in Utica where they were physically threatened and mobbed. Not yet an ardent abolitionist, Gerrit Smith, witnessing the thwarting of First Amendment rights, invited the delegates to the safety of Peterboro. Through the cold, rainy night of October 21, 1835, four hundred delegates traveled through Vernon Center to Peterboro, and the one hundred four came through Canastota. Thus, on October 22, 1835, the inaugural meeting of the New York State Antislavery Society was held in the Presbyterian Church, which now the Town of Smithfield/Hamlet of Peterboro municipal building and the home of the National Abolition Hall of Fame and Museum.
Registrations and sponsorships have opened at www.AbolitionRoad.org.
Registrants receive a long-sleeved tee shirt with the Abolition Walk logo.
The first 104 students who register to walk are free.
Information:
National Abolition Hall of Fame and Museum
PO Box 55 5255 Pleasant Valley Peterboro NY 13134
NAHOFm1835@gmail.com www.NationalAbolitionHallofFameandMuseum.org 315.308.1890

Abolition Walkers begin the route from Canastota to Clockville to retrace the steps of 104 abolitionists in 1835 to establish the New York State Antislavery Society.

Abolition Walkers returning to Canastota from the 5.4 mile walk to Clockville and back to Canastota - retracing the steps of 104 abolitionists in 1835 to establish the New York State Antislavery Society.
Abolition Ale Joins Abolition Road

Erie Canal Brewing on Peterboro Street in Canastota responded to a request from Joe DiGiorgio, President of the Canastota Canal Town Museum, and Roseanne Warner, Mayor of the Village of Canastota, to brew something special for the Abolition Walk. Situated at the beginning of the Abolition Road to Peterboro, the brew business has created a craft beer named 1835 Abolition Ale. The Classic Lite N' E Zee Thirst Quenching Pale Ale is available at the Canastota taproom and at Seneca Street Brew Pub in Manlius.
